Sunday, January 18, 2009

The Warm Up

Hey all, and welcome to my blog. You can call me Dancing D, and I would like to tell you why I am writing this blog. It's quite simple really, I enjoy teaching. Now, teaching comes in many forms. You can teach in front of a classroom or teach by example. You can teach as a tour guide, or as a tutor. Teaching, to me, is best described as the transmission of all knowledge. I have always enjoyed being on both the receiving and transmitting end of teaching, and it is for this reason that I am writing this blog (or maybe I just like to talk :D). For the moment, I will focus on common questions, or questions that I am asked. I hope that something you read on this blog is informative, but I offer this warning:

Keep your salt shaker with you!

All topics and questions that I address I will do so to the limits of my ability, knowledge, and experience. However, I am not infinitely aware, and my answers are based on what I have experienced. For this reason, I ask that you take everything that I or any other medical blogger writes with a grain of salt. What I have done to get where I am may not work for you, nor is it certainly the only way to do what I have done. Take my answers as general advice, rather than gospel truth.

So who am I, that you should listen to me? Well, I am a senior at a major public school, majoring in biochemistry and minoring in dance, and I will be attending medical school in the Fall. Where? That will be decided in the coming months, and I will be sure to let you all know when the dust settles. The AMCAS application process is complicated, but that's a topic for another post. I am interested in academic medicine, and I hope that I will someday teach either on a lecture basis or clinically. I have an enormous interest in Medical History and bioethics, and am considering either a Master's or PhD in the field (to be determined by where I go). Because of this, I will most likely come back to these two questions on a number of occasions:

1) What is/makes good medicine?
2) What is/makes a good doctor?

I am also interested in molecular genetics and biology. It is most likely that I will end up doing research in one of these areas. Outside of academics, I love to dance (as you can probably guess). I am particularly fond of ballet, modern, and latin dancing. My first and foremost criteria for medical schools was if there was a nearby latin club! I also enjoy traveling, learning about new cultures and people, and history in general. Other than medical history, my favorite subjects are Roman and Greek history. Hiking and skiing are my favorite summer and winter pastimes, and I'm a lover of Science Fiction (not the laser beam and space ship stuff, though that has a place in my heart too. I'm talking about the stuff used as a forum for political, social, and cultural discussion).

And with that, on to business!

No comments:

Post a Comment