Friday, January 30, 2009

It's an odd feeling

I had a uncomfortable experience recently, and its the first time that it has ever happened to me. I was dancing with a girl in one of my dance classes, and we were covering a style of dance that I had never done before. She was getting a little frustrated and clearly hoping for a new partner by the time we took a break, but we got to talking about medical school. She told me that she was a pre-med (year younger than me by the way), and was applying next year. I then told her that I had been accepted to medical school and how my interview process had been going. Her attitude towards me instantly shift 180 degrees. She was suddenly more friendly, enthusiastic, and forgiving of my mistakes. In fact, SHE started apologizing, even though it was clearly my lack of experience rather than hers. I was shocked, and I realize that this is probably only the first of many times in my life that my career in medicine is going to alter people's behavior and opinion of me. This kind of prestige is supposed to be a good thing, right? It's what a lot of people want when they apply for medical school.

It really bothered me.

3 comments:

  1. How come that bothered you so much? Is that no different from making friends with someone who also liked a particular video game that you are into? Even if they are not great at it, you guys somehow have more to connect with and share. So, she was suddenly nice to you, thats great.

    I would like to think that people ought to be nice like this more often but the truth is, she prob didn't want to bond over a very physical (dancing) situation that is also a class... but my advice is get used to it. Your profession is going to define you no matter what, and I would take that in a positive way. A girl suddenly gets nice and cozy when she realizes you are kind of where she would love to be in a years time? Thats great, but I hope you don't think this was really that bad. Nice blog by the way!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Mutual interests and status are two different things. I've danced with a great number of girls, many with other mutual interests. It isn't the same thing. Nobody has ever gone from disliking my presence to being extremely enthusiastic over the fact that I used to play FF7. Thanks for the comment though, first ever :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hmmm.... Maybe you shouldn't tell people that you are a doctor.(when you become one) If you don't enjoy the prestige that comes with the profession, then what you do for a living is none of their business.

    Good Luck in medical school!
    Dr. Dancing D :)

    ReplyDelete