Monday, May 4, 2009

Dream Come True

It happened today, I was accepted to my top choice medical school! I won't say where exactly, though those who know me personally will know and I ask that you don't post it here. It's on the east coast in a large city, which is where I wanted to live. Ironically, I wasn't even going to apply there, but I did so that I could get a letter from the president of my University (who used to be Provost there). Turns out that I fell in love with it during my visit, and I've been enamoured ever since! I've learned two things from this experience:

1) Waitlist is not a deathlist!

I really thought that I was done for when I got waitlisted at all of my top choices, but here I am now getting ready to attend my dream school! Even more so, I was accepted before the May 15th deadline, which is normally when waitlist shifts begin in earnest. It makes me wonder if sometimes medical schools first accept who they need, rather than who they necessarily want... Who knows?

2) It pays to be persistent.

I wrote several times to the Dean of admissions at this and my other top schools. I found out last week that I was going to receive my University's closest equivalent to a Valedictorian award, so I decided to give each school a call. After reaffirming my desire to attend this particular school, the dean offered me an acceptance then and there. They want students that want them, as many schools told me on interview day. If they can secure a student that was high quality (meaning they interviewed you) without the hassle of you possibly withdrawing later on its a win win situation. Do not hesitate to write a letter of intent to matriculate at a school that you have decided was your top choice. Be serious about this though, integrity is all that we have at this point. If you say to a school that you will attend regardless of all other offers, there is no going back if you're accepted. Your word is everything, and is far more important than any scholarship or other offer you might later get.

1 comment:

  1. True, but I'm sure its been done before. Students have to look out for their own best interest, as I'm sure the schools do! its a dog eat dog world

    ReplyDelete