Wednesday, March 25, 2009

And so the dust settles

Well decisions are out, and I'm a tad disappointed. Mostly waitlists and a few rejections mixed in from some of the Ivy's that I interviewed at. Nonetheless, I'm still pretty happy with how I did. I got rejected from the school that I dreamt of when I was younger, but honestly I almost didn't even apply because I had fallen out of love with it (In fact, I applied to it three months after everywhere else because I had a change of heart). The school I am currently matriculating in is highly ranked in both research and clinical, and has the special programs for Medical History that I am very interested in. While it doesn't have the glamour of, say, Yale, it has more respect from the medical community than any other single school that I have talked to physicians about. In fact, my father ( a physician) regards this school more than a lot of the dozen or so schools ranked above it. It's also the only school that none have ever had negative comments about either. It wasn't my top choice, but I did really find myself liking it. Honestly, if it had more "bang" in terms of name brand prestige I would probably list it as my top choice. That sounds a tad superficial, and I'm sure in a few years I'll look back and laugh at myself, but in my experience it seems like getting into Academic Medicine has a lot to do with the being from a highly ranked medical school. That being said, the $20,000 merit scholarship, with room for more, "eases my pain". I sent a letter off to my top choice, but I'm already preparing myself for matriculation. Great city, though not New York like I hoped. Great facilities, great medical history department, great honor to be going.

Well that's all for now. I'm in the process of preparing my undergraduate "graduate level" thesis for defense. I'll keep you all updated when I hear yay or name from my 5ish waitlists that I care about on May 16th. I've also standardized my labels for easier searching through relevant posts.

No comments:

Post a Comment